Wednesday 29 July 2015

Australia's Lauren Mitchell Won't Retire Despite Her Career Threatening Injury



After suffering from an ACL injury during her preparation for the summer Universiade games last month, it was highly suggested that Australia's Lauren Mitchel will leave the sport of good.

But the 24 year old gymnast does not want to give up and will try her best to compete at what she hopes to be her third Olympic games.


“I was just sitting on my bed and crying,” Mitchell told au.news.

“Immediately I thought: ‘I just can’t do this again’.


“I was just thinking back to my shoulder (reconstruction after London in 2012) because that was a really long, slow process and it was tough to come back from.”

“That was one of the toughest decisions to make” 

 “Being at the end of my career, thinking about retirement, but then also thinking about my body.

“I wanted to go into next year with no regrets. I think if I went with just the pure hamstring surgery I would probably have the regret of ‘what if’.


“I still might not make it to Rio, but I’m going to give it everything.”

Mitchell missed the last two World championships and will miss this year's competition. Lauren is the most successful Australian gymnast having won a World title and two World silver medals.

Written By Gigi Farid 



No comments:

Post a Comment