Friday 16 September 2016

Valeri Liukin to replace Martha Karolyi - National Team Coordinator for USA Gymnastics



USA Gymnastics announced that Valeri Liukin, coach and father of 2008 Olympic all-around champion Nastia Liukin, and the developmental camp coordinator, will take over the role of national team coordinator for the U.S. women’s program. Martha Karolyi, who has held the position since 2001, announced several years ago that she would retire following the 2016 Olympic Games.
Since 2013, Liukin has been in the role of elite developmental coordinator, a position he’ll continue to embody as he undertakes his new responsibilities. According to Liukin at a press conference this Morning... 
 "First thing, I just wanna thank everybody. I just want to say how honored I am to accept this position. It is an incredible honor and I can’t wait to write the few  chapter, so to speak, of the book of success at USA Gymnastics. For your question, no, I don’t think we should change many things at all. I mean, the system is proved to be working. I was brought up with this system, I brought all my athletes through it, and I’m absolutely happy with the outcome. There will be little tweaks, I’m sure, all the gymnasts are different. But generally I don’t see the need
to change anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment